In February 2007, the Iles
Eparses became an integral part of the
French Southern and Antarctic Lands (TAAF). The Southern Lands are now
divided into five administrative districts, two of which are
archipelagos, Iles Crozet and Iles Kerguelen; the third is a district
composed of two volcanic islands, Ile Saint-Paul and Ile Amsterdam; the
fourth, Iles Eparses, consists of five scattered tropical islands
around Madagascar. They contain no permanent inhabitants and are
visited only by researchers studying the native fauna, scientists at
the various scientific stations, fishermen, and military personnel. The
fifth district is the Antarctic portion, which consists of "Adelie
Land," a thin slice of the Antarctic continent discovered and claimed
by the French in 1840.
Discovered but not named in 1522 by
Spanish, the island subsequently received the appellation of Nieuw
Amsterdam from a Dutchman; it was claimed by France in 1843. A
short-lived attempt at cattle farming began in 1871. A French
meteorological station established on the island in 1949 is still in
Ile Saint Paul:
Claimed by France since 1893, the
island was a fishing industry center from 1843 to 1914. In 1928, a
spiny lobster cannery was established, but when the company went
bankrupt in 1931, seven workers were abandoned. Only two survived until
1934 when rescue finally arrived.
A large archipelago formed from the
Plateau, Iles Crozet is divided into two main groups: L'Occidental (the
West), which includes Ile aux Cochons, Ilots des Apotres, Ile des
Pingouins, and the reefs Brisants de l'Heroine; and L'Oriental (the
east), which includes Ile d'Est and Ile de la Possession (the largest
island of the Crozets). Discovered and claimed by France in 1772, the
islands were used for seal hunting and as a base for whaling.
Originally administered as a dependency of Madagascar, they became part
of the TAAF in 1955.
This island group, discovered in
is made up of one large island (Ile Kerguelen) and about 300 smaller
islands. A permanent group of 50 to 100 scientists resides at the main
base at Port-aux-Francais.
The only non-insular district of the
is the Antarctic claim known as "Adelie Land." The US Government does
not recognize it as a French dependency.
Bassas da India:
A French possession since 1897,
this atoll is a volcanic rock surrounded by reefs and is awash at high
This heavily wooded island has been a French possession since 1897; it
is the site of a small military garrison that staffs a weather station.
A French possession since 1892,
Glorioso Islands are composed of two lushly vegetated coral islands
(Ile Glorieuse and Ile du Lys) and three rock islets. A military
garrison operates a weather and radio station on Ile Glorieuse.
Juan de Nova Island:
Named after a famous 15th
Spanish navigator and explorer, the island has been a French possession
since 1897. It has been exploited for its guano and phosphate.
Presently a small military garrison oversees a meteorological station.
First explored by the French in
the island came under the jurisdiction of Reunion in 1814. At present,
it serves as a sea turtle sanctuary and is the site of an important